Q.  Can I drive a golf cart in the City of Pigeon Forge?

A.  No. Traditional golf carts, as defined by Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-1-123, may not be titled and registered for on road use, unless modified to meet all of the low or medium speed vehicle requirements in Tennessee law and the federal safety standards contained in 49 CFR 571.500.  Golf carts cannot be used on public roads, alleys, public parking lots or sidewalks.


Q.  How do I modify my golf cart to meet vehicle requirements for Tennessee Law?


A.  The standard contained in 49 CFR 571.500 (Code of Federal Regulations) requires low speed vehicles to have basic safety equipment, including head lamps, stop lamps, front and rear turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflectors (one red on each side near the rear and one red on the back), parking brake, one exterior mirror mounted on the driver’s side of the vehicle and one additional mirror on the passenger side or an interior mirror, a windshield meeting the standards outlined in 49 CFR 571.205 (Not plexiglass), seat belts (type 1 or 2) located at each designated seating position, and a vehicle identification number (VIN) that conforms to provisions outlined in 49 CFR 565.


Owners and operators of low speed vehicles, including modified golf carts, are subject to the requirements outlined in Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-8-191 regarding the proper

operation of these vehicles on Tennessee’s roads and must have a Class D driver license in their possession when operating the vehicle, have the vehicle registered and provide proof of valid insurance. 


To register a low speed vehicle, designed and manufactured for on road use, applicants should provide to their local county clerk’s office a copy of the vehicle’s MSO (manufacturer’s statement of origin), as proof that the vehicle meets all statutory requirements and safety standards, along with the traditional documentation required for vehicle registration. Applicants must submit the low speed vehicle affidavit form (RV-F1314301) with their registration application when there is no MSO indicating the vehicle is a low speed vehicle. The low speed affidavit form is available on the Web site, www.tn.gov/revenue.


Owners and operators of low speed vehicles, including modified golf carts, are subject to the requirements outlined in Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-8-191 regarding the proper operation of these vehicles on Tennessee’s roads and must have a Class D driver license in their possession when operating the vehicle. 


Q.  Does the Pigeon Forge Police Department certify modified golf carts as low speed vehicles?


A.  No. Currently the Pigeon Forge Police Department does not inspect or certify modified golf carts.





Q.  What are the laws pertaining to having an intoxicating liquor in or on any public places in Pigeon Forge?


A.  Possession of intoxicating liquor is prohibited by Pigeon Forge City Ordinance 11-   101 which states:

            It shall be unlawful for any person to drink or consume, or have an open can or bottle of beer or intoxicating liquor in or on any public street, alley, avenue, highway, sidewalk, public park, public school ground, or other public place, except the consumption of beer lawfully sold and served in a restaurant/eating place or special event location holding a lawful beer sales permit as provided by the Pigeon Forge Municipal Code shall not be deemed a violation hereof. (1979 Code, § 10-229, as amended by Ord. #708, Aug. 2003) 



Q.  What are the rules concerning conveyances on the sidewalks?


A.  All conveyances, except devices used by handicapped persons and carriages used to transport children, are prohibited on the sidewalk by Pigeon Forge City Ordinance 16-110.  Prohibited transportation devices include but not limited to automobile, bicycle, skateboard, motorcycle or other conveyance that a person can push, pull, ride or place.


Q.  Can I sell merchandise in Pigeon Forge during the car show event?


A.  No person shall use or occupy any portion of any public street, alley, sidewalk, or right of way for the purpose of storing, selling, or exhibiting any goods, wares, merchandise, or materials.

Q.  Can I sell my car on the state right-of-way?

A.  A vehicle that is for sale on the state right-of-way can only be in a legal parking space for 72 hours.  After the 72 hours it is subject to being towed.

Q.  What are the lift laws and bumper laws in Tennessee?

A.  Tennessee has laws that limit a vehicle’s frame height and bumper height and prohibit the use of front lift blocks.  The maximum vehicle frame height in Tennessee is governed by T.C.A. 55-9-215 and depends on the vehicle’s GVWR.  The body floor of the vehicle must not be more than 4 inches above the top of the frame.

Vehicle GVWR          Max. Frame Height

Cars and SUVs                       22 inches

Under 4,501 lbs.                     24 inches

4,501 to 7500 lbs.                   26 inches

7,501 to 10,000 lbs.                28 inches

Frame height measurements shall be taken from the bottom of the frame by measuring the vertical distance between the ground and the lowest point of the frame directly below the point in line with the center of the steering wheel.  Frame is the manufactured frame not a sub frame or structure support that is modified.  Bumpers are required in the state of Tennessee.  Requirements for bumpers are that they cannot be less than 14 inches from the ground or more than 31 inches above the ground.  Drop bumpers are permitted.  They must be bolted and welded to the frame of the vehicle.

Q.  Where can I park my car?

A.  The City of Pigeon Forge has public parking on the state right of way and has a large municipal parking lot located on Teaster lane.  Private parking is regulated by the owner of the property.  All signs concerning parking must be respected. City Ordinance 15-601 prohibits parking in any public street or alleyway.   City Ordinance 15-604 prohibits parking on a sidewalk, in front of or obstructing any public or private drive or access.  All vehicles must park in the official markings of a parking space.  If it is not officially lined for parking then it is not a parking space and subject to citation and/or towing.

Q. Where is the state right of way?

A.  Unofficially the state right of way is forward of the utility poles towards the parkway.  The official boundaries are described in detail in the City of Pigeon Forge City Ordinances.

Q. Since it is a car show, can I spin or squeal my tires?

A.  No.  This is a safety issues and is enforced as reckless driving.

Q. What are the rules for riding in a truck bed?

A.  Tennessee has age restrictions and occupancy restrictions for riding in the bed of a truck.  T.C.A. 55-8-189 states A person commits an offense who, on the streets of any municipality, roads of any county, or the highways of this state, transports a child under six (6) years of age in the bed of a truck with a manufacturer's ton rating not exceeding three-quarter (¾) ton and having a pickup body style.  Occupancy is restricted to the number of persons that can sit on the floor of the truck bed.  The truck bed must have sides.



Q. Is it illegal to blow smoke from my diesel?

A.  Yes, Tennessee requires that all motor vehicles are equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke.

Q. Can I put up a tent or canopy?

A.  No.  Zoning Ordinance 412 prevents the placement of tents and canopies on any lot in Pigeon Forge.

Q. If I leave my parking space, Can I save it for when I return?

A.  No, you cannot restrict public movement.  City Ordinance 11-604 prevents any activity on public ground that obstructs or interferes with the free passage of pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

Q.  What laws apply to my 49cc Scooter?

A.  Owners of “motorized bicycles,” are required to wear a crash helmet by T.C.A. 55-9-302.  T.C.A. 55-8-101, while providing the official definition for "motorized bicycle," also states that these "motorized bicycles" MUST be driven by an individual with a valid operator's license (motorcycle endorsement not necessary).  "Motorized bicycle" means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground.  It shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road.

Q.  Can I park in a handicapped parking space on private property even though my vehicle doesn’t have a handicap license plate or placard? 

A.  No.  Only a vehicle that has a handicapped license plate or has a handicapped placard is allowed to park in a handicap space regardless of whether the parking space is located on public or private property (Tennessee Code Annotated 55-21-108 (4b).

The Pigeon Forge Police Department is aware of the traffic issues that occur during some special events.  We ask that all drivers obey the speed limits, ensure that all occupants are wearing their seat belts, operate their vehicle in a safe manner, don’t block intersections and be patient.  We thank you for visiting our website and if you have any questions not covered here you can call the police department at 865-453-9063.